The Place Alliance was established in 2014. Initially it aimed to encourage collaboration, communication and collective leadership in the cause of better place quality. Increasingly it has developed a campaigning role and does this through direct engagement and the dissemination of targeted research and thought leadership to key governmental, professional and community audiences. The Place Alliance provides a forum for its supporters to come together, debate and work towards raising the national consciousness regarding the importance of place quality.
We are open to all who share our vision and invite you to join us!
As a voluntary alliance we operate in a network sustained by:
- A CORE SUPPORTERS GROUP advising the Place Alliance
- A MANAGEMENT TEAM hosted at UCL
- WORKING GROUPS set up to harness energy and interest around particular topics, but independent and frequently time limited
- The BIG MEETS, our annual National Conferences
Place Alliance is hosted by UCL Bartlett School of Planning
i. Place quality has a value that is recognised by all
ii. The quality of buildings, streets, and spaces is always given a high priority by those who have the power to shape them
iii. National and local government recognises the vital contribution of the quality of place to the economic, social and cultural life of the nation and to achieving environmental sustainability
iv. The professionals are responsible for making and managing places, work constructively together and with local communities to shape high quality local environments.
Together we aim to:
- Inspire and raise aspirations for places.
- Support dialogue and collaboration to improve place quality
- Build and share evidence, knowledge and resources
- Influence policy, practice and behaviour to achieve better place quality
- Be open and accessible to all interested individuals and organisations.
Place Quality: “The Five Fs”
The recognisable and desirable qualities that the most successful parts of our villages, towns and cities share.
These qualities are discussed in greater depth in Place Matters.
Open, cherished and characterful
Inclusive, healthy and low impact
Adaptable, dynamic and diverse
Vibrant, playful and stimulating
Safe, accessible and democratic
Work with Us
The Place Alliance has its origins in a cross-sector collaborative alliance for place quality. Our supporters are engaged in the full range of processes involved in shaping places. These encompass processes that are:
- Both strategic and local in nature; public and private
- Top-down and bottom-up and both professionally and community driven
- Directly and
indirectlyshaping places (for instance though both projects and policies)
- Concerned with the environmental, social and economic wellbeing of places and people
- Involving a wide and varied range of professionals and communities.
By working constructively and collaboratively as allies, we aim over the long-term to establish a culture whereby place quality, in a holistic sense, becomes a continuous and ever-present agenda in all new development, regeneration and urban management processes. Individuals and organisations are always welcome to work with us and we partner with others in most of what we do. Working together we are far stronger than working either in isolation or within our disciplinary or interest group silos.